Monday, August 4, 2008

Disgusting!


"Oh Sweet and Sour Chicken! That you were mine..."

Kurt and I have recently been on a Chinese food kick. Inspired by the yummy food at Moscow's Old Peking Restaurant, I have been trying my hand at cooking Chinese food with good results. (We bought a wok and everything!) It had been very tasty, until about 2 weeks ago...

I decided to get fancy and try to make Sweet and Sour Chicken, complete with homemade red "lollipop" sauce. Note that I said TRY! Long story short: oily batter + watery chicken + frying oil=big disgusting oily mess! It was HORRIBLE! Although the batter refused to stick to the chicken, I persevered to the end, only to end up with a big gloppy mess that wasn't fit to eat. Every once in a while you would catch a taste of the sauce (which was good!) but it had mixed in the batter to create one big, disgusting mass. Gross!

So what did my wonderful husband have to say about it? "Let's throw it off the balcony. I'll toss and you can make up-chuck noises! It'll be great!" Yes, it looked that gross. I sincerely wish I had a picture so you could revel in my cooking mishap with me!

Since that fateful day, we have inherited a deep fat fryer, so hopefully next time the will much triumphant rejoicing and yummy eats! And there will be a next time. I refuse to leave such a disparaging mark on my otherwise (mostly) spotless record! I will be vindicated! Sweet and Sour Chicken will be mine!!!

No comments: